Legend of Kyrandia 3: Malcolm's Revenge
Downloads for Legend of Kyrandia 3: Malcolm's Revenge
In the original release of Book 3: Malcolm's Revenge, the numerical form of the number 3 is used in the title, whereas in the original release of Book Two: The Hand of Fate, the spelled-out form of number 2 is used in the title. The title of Book Two is likely a reference to the 1966 film Manos: The Hands of Fate.
players: single player
input: keyboard, mouse
graphics: SuperVGA, Vesa, VGA
sound: Ensoniq soundscape, Microsoft Sound System, Gravis Ultrasound, Pro Audio Spectrum, Sound Blaster
Abandonware DOS popularity: low
- #1 - 11.08.2015 10:03 GrandMasterA fairly typical adventure game in the old Kings Quest style. Perhaps with less vicious fatalities. The music is catchy and the graphics decent for their day, but the puzzles infuriating as is the wont of this genre.
- #2 - 26.07.2016 17:52 KVI downloaded this game from this website and tried to launch from the Boxer app on my mac. When I try to start a new game, it gives me an error message that says it cannot detect the "anytalk.tlk" file and I have to exit the game. I am not well-versed with DOSbox or any of the DOS prompting, so I am completely lost as to how to fix this. I have downloaded the Kyrandia 2 game and it worked just fine.
- #3 - 13.05.2017 13:18 LordBucketMalcolm's Revenge is entertaining at times, and the voicework is great, but the game gets into "Guide Dang it" territory sometimes where there's just no way you can realistically proceed without giving up and consulting a guide. But that's not all bad, because there's a LOT dialogue predicting all the stuff you'll try, and the main character and his over-the shoulder-demon sidekick will keep you mostly entertained while you struggle to progress. Eventually though you'll get to cat island, and then the game becomes completely stupidly difficult, at which point you either simply give up or result to following step by step guides and not enjoying it anymore.
Also, while this game is the THIRD in the Kyrandia series, it's a continuation of the story from from the FIRST game, and will make more sense if you've played the first one. If you have, definately check this out to get Malcolm's version of the story. It's kind of a Rashomon story. But if you haven't, you might enjoy the SECOND game in the story more, Hand of Fate. It's the best in the series, and doesn't depend on knowledge of the other two as much.
- #4 - 13.05.2017 13:23 LordBucketQuick followup: to play this game you ABSOLUTELY MUST play with the voice enabled. The above video doesn't show what's going on. Not only is the dialogue crucial to play, the fun part of Malcom's Revenge isn't playing the game, it's listening to the constant stream of jokes from the characters, which are delivered via spoken lines. If you can't hear the voices, don't bother. You need them to play.
- #5 - 14.05.2017 09:08 AbandonwareDOSThank you AGAIN for your review Lord Bucket!