The Hobbit downloads
Do you have trouble running this game? Read the guide
Main executable file (run this to play the game): thehobbit/Hobbit.com
The .zip contains only two files: hobbit.com and hobbit.dat. The executable file is hobbit.com. If you're having problems, try mounting The Hobbit using D-Fend.
DOS Games can't run on Windows. You need an emulator such as DOSbox and/or a front-end like D-Fend Reloaded. Follow these instructions to run DOS games on Windows systems.
Video courtesy of Squakenet.com.
Additional info about The HobbitAwards won by The Hobbit:
- 1983 - Strategy Game of the Year, Golden Joystick Awards.
Distributed on: 5,25 floppy disk
Abandonware DOS views: 22401
- AbandonwareDOS - 31/08/2019 17:29Hi Ralle! You can run it easily with a DOS emulator like DOSBOX.
- Ralle - 31/08/2019 15:29Hi! Tried this today on my old PC-XT from 1988, DOS 5.0, Adlib Card, VGA, Mouse. Copied the files on a real 360kb disc and tried to start it. It simply hangs. A COM-File that is only 584 Bytes long looked strange. Today I learned something new - after all that time : "PC Booter". Thied to put it on a system disk with a very small DOS (3.21). No way. Has anyone a disk image?
- AndyDunn - 11/07/2016 21:17The reason is that it doesn't work with FreeDOS. It's fine with MSDOS.
- AndyDunn - 11/07/2016 18:57If I type SAVE, I get the prompt ENTER DISK POSITION [ 1-20 ]: After entering a number in the suggested range, nothing happens (just a flashing cursor). The game freezes and I have to reboot the computer. Anyone know what's going on here? The game isn't really playable unless you can save.
- AbandonwareDOS - 27/12/2014 10:29Hi Bob, the screenshots you see on this page were taken using the game in the zip you downloaded. You should see two files, one named hobbit.com, the other hobbit.dat. There is NO exe, and that's normal for a game so old: the .com is the executable. I played The Hobbit using D-Fend, it saves a lot of DOSBOX tweaking. Try it, you should be able to run it without problems.
- BOB - 26/12/2014 20:02no way to mount game - if, you are probably using DOS BOX & have mounted the HOBBIT folder - there is NO .exe to start game - the files within folder are both titled HOBBIT but, when you enter HOBBIT, it says illegal command -- no way to start game as the .exe is missing
Have you ever played The Hobbit? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Say something about this game!