GDC Spotlight Awards - 1997
In 1997 Princess Diana died in a car crash, Hong Kong returned under China rule and the stock markets crashed (again). The first Harry Potter book is published in United Kingdom, scientists cloned the first sheep (Dolly) and Microsoft released Interet Explorer 4 (yes, four).
Cinemas were full of people watching Titanic, Men in Black, The Third Element.
The Spotlight Awards was a video game awards event hosted in the 1990s at the GDC (Games Developers Conference) that covered a lot of gaming platforms.
The best video games for 1997 according to the Spotlight awards were:
- Civilization II Best PC/Mac Game
- Command and Conquer: Red Alert Best Strategy/War Game
- Duke Nukem 3D Best Action Game
- I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream Best Adaptation of Linear Media
- MechWarrior II: Mercenaries Best Simulation Game
- NHL Hockey '97 Best Sports Game
- Quake Best Multiplayer Game
- Quake Best Music or Soundtrack
- Quake Best Use of Audio
- Super Mario 64 Best Game
- The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall Best Adventure Game/RPG
- Tomb Raider Best Animation
- Virtua Fighter 3 Best Arcade Game
- Wing Commander IV Best Use of Video
- You Don't Know Jack XL Best Script, Story or Interactive Writing
- You Don't Know Jack XL Best Trivia or Puzzle Game
- Zork Nemesis Best Pre-rendered Art