CODiE Awards 1990: SimCity, Carmen Sandiego, Space Quest 3
Please consider supporting us by allowing ads to be displayed or by donating a small amount. Thanks!
1990 was a seminal year in videogames. The last decade of the millennium saw the birth of two genres: city building simulations and god games.
The first was represented by the first chapter in a long series of sims: SimCity. There are not many well known city building games around to this day, but the genre is well known by every sim fan.
The second genre, god games, has an elusive definition. In god games you are... well... god or the nearest approximation of a god. You can control the environment but not the people in it (at least not much). Populous wasn't the first god game ever published but it was the game that gave the genre its name.
What happened in the world in 1990? The Hubble Telescope was launched, Germany was finally unified and many political crises began all around the world (Yugoslavia, Iraq, Nabibia, etc).
From the official site: "The SIIA CODiE Awards were established in 1986 so that pioneers of the then-nascent software industry could evaluate and honor each other's work."
- HardBall II Best Sports Program
- Populous Best Strategy Program
- SimCity Best Consumer Program
- SimCity Best Curricular Program
- SimCity Best Entertainment Program
- SimCity Best Simulation Program
- Space Quest III: The Pirates of Pestulon Best Fantasy Role Playing/Adventure Program
- WELLTRIS Best Action/Arcade Program
- Where In Time Is Carmen Sandiego? Best Home Learning Program