Magic: The Gathering
Downloads for Magic: The Gathering
To run Magic: The Gathering, first run setup.bat and wait for it to finish, then double click on Magic.reg to add what's needed to the Windows registry.
If you have trouble running or configuring the game, follow the instructions at shandalar.net.
If the deck editor (DECK.EXE) doesn't work (it could crash after a couple of seconds), download the "Deck editor fix" and follow the instructions included in the README.txt.
Games that run on older versions of Windows can't run on recent systems. You will probably need a Virtual Machine to run the game.
Player modes: single player, multiplayer (Internet)
Input: keyboard, mouse
Distributed on: cd-rom
Abandonware DOS views: 94376
- AbandonwareDOS - 23/06/2019 20:35@Erik, are you running the game in a Virtual Machine?
- Erik R. - 23/06/2019 17:05Constant crashing, even with the deck builder fix, and after it crashes, it keeps the screen resolution at 1024x768. Not playable in this state.
- Kyle - 08/11/2017 20:46I'm having the same problem as a few of the others here. I've installed in just fine with no crashing, however, I don't have access to see any cards that are not currently in my deck. If I remove them, I can't see them. I have to add all of the color back into my deck to get it in there as painstaking as it is. However, I can't add any colorless lands (Mishra's factory, Stripmines, etc.) into my deck this way. Any thoughts on how to fix this? I'm running Windows 10 and I've tried almost all the compatibility options.
- Elias K - 23/10/2017 20:18I used to play this game over and over again. I had a wonderful experience playing this as a kid and I even still have a pentium 286 & 686 to play this but the 686 was too fast and I couldn't even walk around during a Shandlar. The 286 would take forever for the computer to calculate. I cannot believe you fixed this game for me! I learned to play Magic on this game. I played it 5 hours this weekend and it only crashed a few times in the beginning. I was able to adjust the resolution and go directly into the Shandlar from the link to solve the crashing issues. I'm running windows 10 and I never thought this would be possible. I just have to say Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Also, There seems to be some text overlap when I go to buy some green summons. Maybe it's a resolution thing. I just started playing it again so I'll come back here and post again if any issues continue.
Once again, I LOVE THIS GAME!!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
- Alex - 11/09/2017 21:24Hi All. I finally found Shandalar again and was excited when my download and installation seemed successful (I'm not a computer person at all). When starting up and selecting a new adventure, I get an error message, and then I cant enter a name or have a character picture, just a scramble of colors and pixels. After that the game works fine until about 2-3 mins into any given battle. At this point (it seems to be triggered when either character takes damage) the game tries to load a small graphic of the player portrait but fails and shows another scramble of colors and pixels, then the game forces a shut down. it's frustrating because I followed all the dload and installation steps, and am at a loss. Please help!
- Jon - 24/08/2017 21:26Hey guys, same problem as @Matt, the game will not show my collected cards for some reason. Downloaded the game from three different sites and all had the same problem. Did this ever get resolved?
- AbandonwareDOS - 08/08/2017 08:20@Matt, you're right, here's the correct link: https://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=76
- AbandonwareDOS - 04/08/2017 10:18Hi guys, you may find some help running the game on this forum: https://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=76
- Noah - 04/08/2017 09:31Could somebody help me? Once i downloaded the file, i ran the setup and the window said i am missing something in my program files with .ogg files. What do I do?
- Matt - 03/08/2017 20:01I can't get the game to show my collected cards in the deck edit screen. When I try to run it on the recommended settings, the game crashes.
- Tawnos - 19/07/2017 00:29I have Windows 10 and I used the deck fix to get the game to work, but I have one problem: The game doesn't show any cards from Legends, The Dark, Arabian nights etc.. Only the 4th edition as if it doesn't recognize the expansion sets. Anyone know a fix for this? Note: All sets showed properly on my laptop where I have Windows 7.
- Urza - 21/06/2017 13:04Re: Problems with Deck Editing screen and other weird graphics issues
Try going to the directory and make the following adjustments to the executables using the "File Properties" Window (Right Click the file):
• Go to the Compatibility Tab
• Checkmark the box for "Compatibility Mode"
• Select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" in the drop down menu right underneath it
• In the Settings section below that, checkmark the box for "Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution"
• In the Settings section below that, checkmark the box for "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"
- Drossus - 30/01/2017 10:41Got it going pretty easily on Win 10. Ran setup.bat, double clicked magic.reg then hit shandalar.exe for the game. Had to use the deck edit fix too. Great blast from the past!
- Donny Kang - 03/01/2017 15:16For the application to work properly on Windows 10 - Right Click on 'Magic.exe' and go to its Properties. Change the Compatibility Mode to 'Windows 8'.